Welcome to the WP Refs Society Website
The Western Province Rugby Referees’ Society is an affiliate of the Western Province Rugby Union.
It is responsible for the recruitment, training, grading and appointment of referees to all sanctioned games in the Province, primarily at club level but also to school games where possible. There is a huge demand for referees. In addition a host of school games – both primary and high school – also take place during the season.
- 160 league games take place each weekend
- 86 rugby clubs
- 12 000 registered players in Western Province
WP has a proud tradition of rugby referees.
- The WPRRS supplied the first person of colour to referee a test (Carl Spannenberg),
- the first woman to officiate in a test (Jenny Bentel) and
- the first Black African test referee (Louis Mzomba).
- At the beginning of the 2007 season almost 20% of the referees on the SA Panels were from Western Province.
Rugby relies on the availability of fit, well-trained and enthusiastic sportspeople who are willing to put something back into the game. If you’re interested in contributing to the well-being of rugby in WP why not contact the manager of referees and make an application to join?